German S-100 Class Schnellboot (Fast Boat)

 

 

The SBoot Kallotte (Skullcap Bridge)

 

The Kallotte, or Skullcap bridge is a very complicated construction and it had stalled and had me puzzled since I built the complicated and fragile cardboard version many years ago, puzzled about how to make it easy enough for many people to construct, sure I could put together a whole heap of little shapes and hope you could get them all at the required angles and in line but that's not me, I am essentially a manufacturing engineer so making things makeable is what I have always done.

 

This is a ply version of the original Kallotte design that I did some years ago, which I put together to remember how hard it was to make and hopefully give me some inspiration!

 

This is a new version, without all the finger joints between the panels which would be relatively impossible to finish off but not having them makes the construction more difficult. there are also a few new parts such as the duck boards and much more detail designed for the rear section. I made up some frames below the segmented panels to hold them all in the correct angles.

 

Here you can see the duck boards better and the ones on the floor of the bridge and one of the four doors into the bridge area and the wheelhouse in front of it.

 

This is a view from below showing a couple of the new frames and doors.

 

I came up with another idea where I can cut the entire vertical section from one piece of ply by cutting small slots across and then partly breaking it to create a fold, this is magic and and allows the assembly to be much, much simpler. You can also see that I have added laser etched rivets in a number of areas, the side sections of the Kalotte were of aluminium rivetted construction whereas the front section over the wheelhouse was of welded steel.

I am pleased with progress on this part of the project, I can see an easy to make Kallotte now.

 

The latest incarnation: January 16th 2018

 I was inspired by my folding vertical panel idea so I broke off all the individual panels and cleaned up all the frames and laser cut a new set of vertical folding panels complete with the upper most sections. I need to figure out how to make the clear windows that go above these top sections yet and what to make them out of, acryllic cuts really well. I was amazed how strong the structure actually is, I expected to break it because the Locktite superglue that I use holds on really well, the ply comes apart before the glue lets go but it survived without any damage at all!

I have made the duck boards a plank wider on this side as a trial, to cover the slots where the "plug" is. The "plug" literally plugs into the middle layer of the three layers of the front and side walls below it, so that the entire Kallotte can be removed at will, I plan to have the torpedo launching system in the rear part of the Kallotte, so that the CO2 cannister can be easily attached/replaced.

This part of the project is virtually finished now, I need to do a few small tweaks to the panels and add a few more detail pieces but I am very pleased and have finally overcome a huge stumbling block in the overall boat kit design. I may actually try making the entire panelled section out of one big interconnected piece, not sure if that will work but well worth a try.

I drew up the Panther, which was portrayed on a number of S Boots, I was hoping that the rivet detail would be superimposed over the Panther but alas, because it is raster etched it is all combined by the laser, I would need to produce a separate page with just the rivets where the Panthers are and re-etch the sheet.

(C) Copyright 2017-2018  - John Drain